Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Essence Match 2 Cover! Cream Concealer: Essentially A Disappointment

I have been exploring the drugstore more lately, especially Essence products.  I am a huge fan of their Silky Touch Blushes and their I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base, so when I saw this little cream concealer duo I was intrigued.  I usually use the Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque, so when I picked this up I was hoping this would be a much cheaper alternative because of the slightly pink toned concealer on the right.  

One downside of the Essence Match 2 Cover Concealer that I noticed right away was that it only comes in one shade.  Now, I understand that you are supposed to be able to mix these two colors to find the appropriate match for your skin tone but anyone with a deeper skin tone is just out of luck!  



The texture of these two concealers is definitely creamy, but not too emollient that it will slide right off of your face.  When I applied the lighter, more salmon-colored shade to my dark under-eye circles I immediately noticed two things:  First, the product was way too light on its own and actually accentuated my dark circles; Second, it did not blend in easily and I felt like I had to really tug at the skin under my eyes to get it to blend (which I hate doing!).  

Since the shade was way too light, I went to the darker shade and applied it over the lighter concealer, attempting to match my skin tone and salvage the amplified dark circles that were haunting my face.  The darker shade helped even out the color, but I could still see my dark circles even through the two layers of concealer (and I had gotten 8 hours of sleep, so they weren't even that bad).  

I walked away to grab a cup of coffee and when I came back I was shocked that the concealer had already creased.  I smoothed out the crease with my finger and immediately set it with a translucent powder.  

Around 12 p.m. (I applied my makeup at 8:30 a.m.) I checked my makeup in the mirror and my concealer had almost completely broken down and was creasing like crazy!  I smoothed it out with my finger once again to try and remedy the situation.  It looked cakey and horrible.  When I got home from class at around 4 o'clock I checked my face again, and the concealer had all but disappeared.

Overall, I will definitely not repurchase this concealer, nor will I ever use it again for under my eyes.  Perhaps this will work on the face to cover up blemishes, but I do NOT recommend it for under your eyes.  Let me know if any of y'all have tried this concealer and what you think of it/how you apply it if it works for you.  I wish I had liked this concealer more, but I think for now I will just stick to my Bobbi Brown Corrector.

+Taylor Rae




1 comment:

  1. When I saw your photo, I hoped the product would be good. Too bad it's hard to apply, I hate tugging the skin under my eyes too. I guess I'll give this product a pass. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete